Wednesday, September 18, 2013

9-18-13 The first few days of "What's next?"

It is Wednesday afternoon and I am sitting at Scott's computer. After about 48 hours of no rain, a thunderstorm with high wind is blowing over. Normally a thunderstorm is a welcome event; today it brings up anxious feelings and memories. I transferred my journal and pictures into blog form this morning and decided that I should also record what happens next.

Over the past few days I have made and received numerous phone calls and emails. Friends and relatives are eager to hear "the story". I have spent many hours recounting different pieces of the past week. We've patiently tried to paint verbal pictures to people in other places who can't understand how a flash flood like this one can happen. Steve and I have been overwhelmed by the outpouring of care and support, and have received numerous offers to live in spare rooms and basements. Yesterday a call came from a couple from our church who are out of state for an extended time. They said that our name came into both of their minds yesterday and they wondered if we needed a place to stay. They offered for us to use their house and furnishings. Wow, our prayers were answered beyond what we thought possible. We had been looking for a place to park our RV and stay for a while. God is good! Saturday we plan to "move" in - i.e. each carry in a suitcase.

Important contacts have been made. A call to our insurance company resulted in receiving sympathy, but no benefits as our home is still standing. I put in an application with FEMA and should receive notification within a week if there are any benefits available there. I'm not holding my breath, but it's worth a shot.

This is highway 36 just NW of Pinewood Springs
(picture copied from the internet)
Every evening since I arrived here, we've sat on our computers and watched videos and pictures taken by people all over the flood area. We've seen videos of houses washed down stream and of rescue workers evacuating people from the mountains. We've watched multiple videos shot from airplane or helicopter windows showing the flooding and broken roads. As we watch we often recognize the road or town or building. The images also help us understand why we're getting reports that it may be many months before we go home.

Some of the common things of life have required a bit more thought now. We've had to purchase those things that you take for granted will be in the closet when you need them: shampoo, toothpaste, underwear, clothing, etc. I'm sure there will be more moments when I think, "Where did I leave my ________, oh, yeah!" All my important paperwork is in my desk at home, which required a stop at the bank to get temporary checks, and calling our utilities to make arrangements for bills. Yesterday I had to find our mail. Since our little Lyons post office is out of commission, I stopped in at the Longmont office and was surprised to find the Lyons postal employees set up in a corner. My mail was retrieved as I overheard others talking about losing their homes and belongings. I repeatedly get an "I am so blessed" feeling - I felt it then.

Flooded parking garage in Boulder
Last night, Steve and I took Buster, our grand-dog for an after dinner walk. Just a little spin around Scott and Jenna's neighborhood and we saw many lower level condos and offices stripped of furniture and floor coverings, with fans blowing to dry up the rain that collected there. The musty, mildew-y odor wafted through many open windows. Ruined carpet, furniture and saggy cardboard boxes are stacked by curbs. A garden level garage was being pumped out, while vehicles sat in bumper-high water. Scott has been volunteering in the clean up - moving furniture, removing carpet, scooping sludge in a bucket brigade, etc. The amazing thing is that this is a tiny piece of the picture. The story is being repeated all over NE Colorado.

And, life goes on everywhere we look. As I sat here today, I heard dogs barking, babies crying, horns honking and sirens wailing. I'm just glad that I'm not hearing the sounds of the raging river, although they will be forever imbedded in my head. Today's storm seems to be over. It was a normal one - moved in quickly, dropped a little rain and moved out. Phew




No comments:

Post a Comment